jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant
SPOILER ALERT!

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I had a hard time deciding between two and three stars for this book. I decided to go with three, mostly because I did really like Peeta, and the idea behind the story was interesting.

I asked for book recommendations from my friends, and several of them highly recommended this one. In fact, they loved it so much that I feel a little bad that I didn't. My number one issue with the book was the main character. Katniss is frustrating - she's very blank, and in spite of the fact that the book is written from her point of view, I feel like we never get a clear picture of her personality. I would agree with some of the other views - this would have been a more interesting book if it weren't written in the first person. So much action takes place off screen, and Katniss isn't interesting enough for me to want to follow her all the time.

I also feel that the political ideas aren't very well developed. I understand that there is more of this in the later books, so I've already requested the second from the library (never let it be said that I don't give things a chance!)

I felt like Katniss' interest in Gale came out of nowhere, and I can see I will be in for a lot of love triangle angst in the future, which I am not looking forward to. I thought it was pretty obvious early on that Peeta was in love with Katniss, and her refusal to see that felt like a plot device.

This will probably make a good movie - it reads like it was written for the screen, with lots of action and very little internal dialogue.

So in conclusion? Meh. It's not awful, but I felt like there wasn't much there there.