jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries)

Among the Mad - Jacqueline Winspear, Orlagh Cassidy I read and reviewed the first book in the Maisie Dobbs series, Birds of a Feather, a few years ago. I gave it three stars, commenting that Maisie was a bit too perfect, and the book had some odd historical inaccuracies.

I've recently become interested in WWI, so I thought I would try another book in the series. I chose this book because it was generally well reviewed, and was supposed to have more of a dark tone. And I suppose it did (there are a few gruesome descriptions, and things are going rather poorly for Maisie's assistant Billy.) But I had, I must say, issues.

My major issue was this: I cannot see that Maisie has changed significantly from the first to the sixth book. She's still entirely too perfect. I don't care for a perfect heroine. I also don't care for static characters. Many mystery writers (PD James is a good example) manage to have their characters evolve between books.

The WWI bits were interesting - I enjoyed reading about the treatment of soldiers after the war. But I must confess that I skimmed the last half. Maisie wasn't holding my interest, and I thought the mystery was weak. Two and a half stars, and I don't think I'll be trying again.