jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)

Soulless - Gail Carriger I'd really like to give this book three and half stars, but the system doesn't allow half ratings! I picked this book up because I like all the genres being mashed together - steampunk, historical romance, paranormal (ok, I don't really love paranormal.) I was struck by the main character immediately - her voice was distinctive and I loved the style of writing.

It seemed to have a bit of self-awareness and didn't mind poking fun at the genres. Or at least that's what I assumed, as the first appearance of a pair of goggles came right away, with dirigibles soon to follow. As I read on though I was less sure. There wasn't really much in the way of steampunk except for the aforementioned items and an occasional steam powered tea kettle. And that's ok, but I wish it hadn't been replaced with extra romance and a helping of vampire/werewolf political intrigue.

I know it's a personal pet peeve, but I really don't like how every book about supernatural beings has to spend so much time on the political structures involved. It's tedious, and I really don't find myself caring about them. As for the romance, well... it felt a bit forced. I read plenty of romance, and I didn't buy this one. I disliked how Alexia was constantly in need of saving by her "Alpha" (hate that term.) It robbed the character of the spunk and independence I saw in the beginning. I found the intimate scenes to be a bit dry and almost embarrassing to read. I did not find the hero to be especially appealing.

The resolution to the story was rushed. It all made sense, and I don't have a problem with the idea, but it seemed to come all of a sudden. I did like some of the supporting characters, in particular Lord Akeldama. Having said that, I was troubled a few times by how often the author went to the well of stereotypes to paint him as a homosexual. At one point I he says: It was such a glorious time to be alive, when men finally and truly got to wear sparkly things... That instance really stuck out to me as a bit over the top. To be fair, Lord Akeldama does get to have a bit more depth later on, and in the end was one of the best understood characters.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm conflicted - the first half was 4.5 stars, and the last half barely three. I still liked it enough to continue in the series, and I hope to get to those soon!

As an aside, I read the Kindle version, which was fairly riddled with typos. Not enough to be distracting, mostly a few missing spaces between words etc.