jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Behold, Here's Poison

Behold, Here's Poison - Georgette Heyer It's true - Heyer's mysteries are never quite as mysterious as they should be. I was fairly certain who had committed the crime by the second chapter, and my conclusion proved correct.

But never mind - I wasn't in for the mystery. The key is to not see it as anything other than a charming 1930s comedy of errors. I love Georgette Heyer because of her ability to write charming characters. I have read a fair number of regencies and mystery novels where the characters are flat stereotypes of the genre. Her characters, on the other hand, have a rare depth for the genres - they change, and our view of them changes along with the story. The main characters in "Behold, Here's Poison" are universally unlikable when they are first introduced, but over time I grew quite fond of them (in particular Randall, presented as a mean-spirited foppish sort at first, over the course of the novel he was revealed to have unexpected depths... still rather witty at the expense of others, but I appreciate that in a character.)

The romance did come a bit out of nowhere. I think this is the second of Heyer's novels I have read with cousin marrying as a plot point, which is perhaps a bit strange to modern eyes. This isn't her strongest work (none of the mysteries are really - read "The Grand Sophy" if that's what you're looking for. Sophie is one of the greatest characters in a genre populated by stereotypes.) It's enjoyable, and recommended for fans of the 1930s mysteries.