jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A Jane Austen Mystery

Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A Jane Austen Mystery - Stephanie Barron Allow me to damn this book with faint praise: it is far less offensive than any of the other Austen related fictions I have read. Mind you, I thought they were all, without exception, dreadful, so make of that what you will.

The concept of including Jane herself as a main character is interesting, and it avoids the obvious traps of continuing one of her stories. She is a bit of a blank slate (we know so little about her, due to a sister burning most of her correspondence) that it's easy enough to include her in a book. And solving mysteries? Why not?

Apparently this is a series, but I have only read this book. I chose it at random off the library shelves based on the title (I'm always interested in Byron.) I thought it would be awful, but really it wasn't. The mystery itself seemed rather less than central to the story, but I was interested in Brighton itself and all the historical persons included in the novel. Jane is a bit frustrating at times, as she seems rather concerned with doing what is correct all the time, but that's ok. At the very least, this is one of the few books of this time period I have read that didn't attempt to shove in a romance, and that makes me like it more.

I don't know if I would seek more of this series out - I lost interest and had to make myself finish, but I was reading slowly. I recommend the series to fans of Austen, just don't expect anything up to her level!