jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Iron Duke (A Novel of the Iron Seas)

The Iron Duke -  Meljean Brook I'll be honest; I only made it halfway through this book. I thought the backstory and setting were interesting and promising - it was certainly a different spin on Steampunk. Unfortunately, I cannot overlook the behavior of the Iron Duke. I don't care what kind of awful backstory he has - it made me uncomfortable reading his interactions with Mina. I am so tired of reading stories where a male character chases after a female to the point of creepiness. I'm tired of the male characters forcing their attentions on the women after repeated rejections. And I'm tired of those same women then changing their minds partway through the book. It sends a bad message.

I also found the author's way of describing the more...ahem... intimate moments to be pretty cringe inducing (and I've read plenty of romance.) I had to stop reading, because I realized it was turning into a hate read, and I don't need any more of those! Two stars for the world building.

P.S. That cover is awful and embarrassing, And I would think the Iron Duke would have more hair... just saying.