jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas

Redshirts - John Scalzi I've read John Scalzi's blog for years, but I must confess that this is the first of his novels I've actually picked up. I knew the moment I saw the title that I would be reading this book - I'm an enormous Star Trek fan (as well as a huge fan of sci-fi television in general).

The book really is an enormous love letter to the genre. The plotline? Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense. This is ok, as most everything in the book is of dubious scientific value by design (tv shows don't have to make sense!) The book is funny. Not, perhaps, laugh out loud funny, but a type of humor that really appeals to me (and I can't think when the last time I read a good humorous sci-fi novel might have been.)

Four stars for entertaining plot and clever use of language. One star off because the characters ran together for me (their personalities were not very well defined.) In addition, the codas at the end weren't necessary for me - the actual story ends with a perfect line, and I would have been happy to leave it there. The codas weren't bad, it's just that I was done with the story by that point.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves trek, as well as fans of humorous science fiction.