jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Stepsister Scheme (PRINCESS NOVELS)

The Stepsister Scheme (PRINCESS NOVELS) - Jim C. Hines I should have known better with this one - fractured fairy tales are not my thing (I might still be scarred from reading "Wicked" in college.) I like Jim Hines though, so I wanted to give it a chance.

I did enjoy the fact that the fairy tales in the book are more of the traditional type than Disney. Cinderella's stepsisters, for instance, walk with a limp on account of having cut parts of their feet off to fit in the glass slipper. Other than some interesting back story, the characters didn't feel particularly real. Is this book young adult? If that's the case, I can forgive the lack of depth and realize that I'm just not the target audience here. The book was well written, with some nice humor, but it dragged. I was never invested in the storyline (or in finding the prince, who we see only through Danielle's eyes for most of the story, and he seems like a bit of a drip.)

2.5 stars, but I'm rounding up because I don't think I'm a good judge in this case.