jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)

A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin Not quite as compulsively readable as the first, but the second book of a long series is generally a lot of setup. I appreciated how some of the less developed characters in the first book began to have defined personalities of their own.

My favorite thing about these books is the way they are written - I love how each chapter is a different viewpoint. Unfortunately, that means there are some characters you won't find as compelling (Catelyn for me). I also managed to go the entire book without remembering who Ser Davos was (a new character in this book.) I find Daenerys' thread to be the least compelling overall - it's so separate from the rest, and I find her a frustrating character. She literally does nothing in this book but wander around and think about finding ships.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining - I really enjoyed this book! In particular, Tyrion continues to be a total delight. I'm also enjoying Sansa's tale. I can see where she could be annoyingly naieve, but I'm enjoying the subtle changes to her character. The character of the Hound was also nicely fleshed out as he related to her thread.

I've already started the third book!