jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War

Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War - Tony Horwitz From the title "Confederates in the Attic" I was expecting a different book - perhaps the story of some family's hidden confederate past. What I got instead was a surprisingly moving account of the south at the end of the 20th century.

I'm from the south, though only barely (Louisville is a city with far more mid-western roots, unless the Derby is currently going on for the tourists). Even so, I recognized some of the attitudes portrayed in the book as belonging to my own relatives. This book doesn't always paint the nicest portrait of the south, and certainly it doesn't speak for all southerners. But it's of interest, particularly in light of our current political situation, to consider how the south might still feel as though northerners are telling them what to do.

The book dragged a bit towards the end. My only disappointment was the lack of conclusion - Horowitz seems to allow the reader to draw their own conclusions, but there are some obvious points in the book that I would prefer to be addressed. Even so, the book was very readable, and quietly humorous in its own way. Recommended!