jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Diviners

The Diviners - Libba Bray I see that some reviewers are mentioning the daunting length of this novel. Since I've started reading everything on my Ipad I find that I don't even notice length - it was nearly over when I realized it was 600 pages long!

I loved this book! I want to recommend it to everyone, particularly to readers who (like me) are wary of anything with the Young Adult label. The story has complexity and the characters have depth - no Mary Sues here! Evie, the main character isn't, let's face it, very nice. She's selfish and impulsive, and I suspect this may turn some readers against her. Me? I loved her because she seemed like a real person. She uses a lot of 1920s slang, which was jarring at first, but I eventually got used to the language. It's obvious that the author is having fun with the period and dialogue, and I think that made me accepting of quirks that might otherwise have annoyed me. It also helps that the book had a 3rd person POV. I greatly prefer this - I can't think of the last time I read a really great 1st person. This perspective allows other characters to take POV turns as well. Some are clearly going to be used more in later books of the series, as they (Memphis particularly) don't have much to do.

There is a little romance, but it's not a focus of the book. Don't get me wrong, I love romance, but too many books consist of a heroine mooning over which of her love interests to mack on while the world falls apart outside.

This book was a delight - breezy and easy to read, but also plenty scary (not Stephen King scary, just nice and creepy!) Highly recommended - this is going straight to my favorites shelf, and I will look forward to the next installment!