jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman - Caitlin Moran I couldn't bring myself to finish this one. I was really excited to read it - I'm a feminist, and almost the same age as Caitlin. I am frustrated by the fact that the college students I teach refuse to identify with feminism, or indeed to admit that sexism exists. But this book... I just couldn't.

The biggest issue to me was the language. Look, I'm not a prude. I don't mind a curse word or two, and I don't really care if you want to talk frankly about sex etc. But to be honest she struck me as one of those sorts of comedians who have to prove they can be just as disgusting as the boys (Sarah Silverman etc) Unfortunately, I don't care for those sorts of men, and I don't like it in a woman either. Quite frankly it started making me uncomfortable around the point that she insisted all women reach a point when they name their vaginas (do they? really? I haven't taken a poll or anything, but I doubt it's so widespread.)

As a woman who is childfree I found her chapters on motherhood to be a bit muddled. I did enjoy the chapter on her abortion, which I found to be refreshingly free of spin.

I liked the bits on her childhood (especially the character of her younger sister!) As the book went on she started to strike me as someone I would not like to meet (another reviewed opins that Caitlin is the sort of extrovert that introverts most fear getting trapped with... and I can totally see that.) I made it halfway and then skimmed. I wish I could recommend this book, but I simply can't. There are much better books on new wave feminism out there!