jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists

5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists - Karl Shaw I would not say that fact checking was high on the list of priorities in writing this book. There are many, many errors which are easily found with a quick perusal of wikipedia. This is not to say that there aren't errors on Wikipedia, but there seems to have been some willful ignoring of evidence when the rumor was more salacious.

For instance, explorer James Cook was indeed killed on a voyage. But he was not, as the book claimed "served at a Hawaiian buffet". To quote the wikipedia page: (warning, gross!)

"The esteem in which he was nevertheless held by the Hawaiians resulted in his body being retained by their chiefs and elders. Following the practice of the time, Cook's body underwent funerary rituals similar to those reserved for the chiefs and highest elders of the society. The body was disemboweled, baked to facilitate removal of the flesh, and the bones were carefully cleaned for preservation as religious icons in a fashion somewhat reminiscent of the treatment of European saints in the Middle Ages. Some of Cook's remains, disclosing some corroborating evidence to this effect, were eventually returned to the British for a formal burial at sea following an appeal by the crew."

I didn't have to work hard to turn up not only the Wiki, but dozens of academic sources for the same information. And really, this story is shocking on its own, though I suppose it doesn't have the shock value of cannibalism.

Yes, yes, I'm getting awfully worked up about a book with the above title. But the fact checking is just lazy, and as it is I spend too much of my life correcting the people who believe these stories without question.

I would not recommend this book at all. Even as a light book of lists it fails.