jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles

Cinder - Marissa Meyer I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading my copy of Cinder. I guess I've been burned by too many bad fairy tell retellings ([b:Wicked|37442|Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1)|Gregory Maguire|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321029694s/37442.jpg|1479280] I'm looking at you!) I love robots and cyborgs, and the cover is of course gorgeous (though my copy is on the e-reader, so I really only saw it at the beginning!)

Cinder is a futuristic cyborg retelling of Cinderella. Cinder is a mechanic, who spends her days in a market stall repairing androids and electronics. All her money goes to her stepmother and two step-sisters, who were forced to take her in after their father brought her home from Europe with him 13 years ago.

I'm not going to get into too much of the plot. Does it follow Cinderella? Well, sort of. It touches on the major points, but also adds its own unique elements.

The book itself is rather short, and almost feels like a prologue to the series. This brings me to the reasons I couldn't give the book 5 stars, in spite of how I loved the story and characters. Why does every YA book have to start a series now? I mean, I get why, clearly publishers like them and make more money from them, but seriously... there is a way to do a series while allowing there to be resolution within the individual novels. This book ends very abruptly. It feels a bit like half a good book, especially as it is so short.

I also had a problem with the foreshadowing. The book essentially makes it easy to guess the main plot twist by about 50 pages in. By the time we got to the end, when Cinder herself finds out, I was beginning to wonder if she was a bit dense. It also took away some of the drama of the last third of the book.

Other than those two problems, I really loved Cinder. I highly recommend it to Fantasy fans.