jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Let the Right One in

Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist 3.5 stars for me personally, probably 4 for anyone who regularly reads horror. Sometimes I like to try to expand my reading boundaries. I don't read much horror - I am prone to insomnia anyway, and I don't need the help! I've been reading Swedish books lately, and I saw this recommended as an actual adult vampire novel.

And it certainly was adult! There's plenty of gore and disturbing imagery. Some situations (such as pedophilia) may make some readers uncomfortable. Personally, I think books should reflect reality, and sometimes reality is ugly, so that didn't bother me. It was a rather grim book. Not scary exactly - it was more that no one in the book seemed happy at all.

Characterization was strong - all the characters had real backstories, even the minor ones. This is something I enjoyed - that even in a book about vampires, the setting and people were utterly believable.

It wore on me, the darkness of the story, but I did finish. It made me feel a little unclean and nervous. I don't think this was the book for me - it was too dark and tiring. But if you are someone who enjoys horror or suspense I think you would really like this book - it's very well done, probably the best vampire novel I have read.