jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Last Dragonslayer: The Chronicles of Kazam, Book 1

The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde I loved "The Eyre Affair," so I was anxious to see what Jasper Fforde could do with a YA book. The cover on my edition is so fun - love the Volkswagen (I had one at one time!) and mixture of greens. As it turns out, he did quite a bit. I'm going to review it from the perspective of someone familiar with his adult books (no spoilers, don't worry!)

If you've read any of Fforde's books, you will be familiar with his love for quirky characters. They are here in abundance, from the quirkyily named wizards to my favorite, the Quarkbeast. Oh, how I would like to own a quarkbeast.

This book does share the same issue that I always had with his other novels. While the characters are wonderful and the dialogue funny, the surrounding world seems a bit sketchy - that is, I have a hard time picturing it. And that's even with several long info-dump type conversations in the first half of the book. It's also rather short, and the plot doesn't really start moving until 3/4 of the way through. The book does have a resolution though, unlike many YA books I have read lately.

Highly recommended for fans of humorous fantasy (Terry Pratchett etc.) Fans of Fforde's other books will not be disappointed - though the main character is a teen, the only thing that makes it feel YA to me is the shorter length.