jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - Lish McBride I considered taking away stars for the fact that I've had Tiny Dancer by Elton John stuck in my head for days, but I decided against it.

I've seen a few reviews that compare this series to the Dresden Files novels. Sam (the main character) is, in fact, just as snarky as Dresden. There is one difference though: I actually liked this book! I had no patience for the Dresden Files (loved the tv show - which this book reminded me of.)

I've read a lot of YA fantasy novels lately, but I think this is the first time I've read a book with a male MC. It was nice - no troubling worrying about dating or relationships in this one (please note: I am a girl, and I support female main characters, but I am embarrassed by the way they are portrayed in many novels.) Sam and the supporting cast were funny and seemed real - I especially enjoyed Frank, Sam's fellow fast food worker.

Sam is a Necromancer. I don't think that's a spoiler give the title, yes? He is unaware of his cosmic destiny until the events that take place in this book. There are werewolves and gnomes and cats that turn into tiny dragons. In fact, there was so much going on that it was a little hard to follow. I expect that will be cleared up in the next novel (which I am about to read!)

I took off one star because, while it was a quick read, I had trouble following the action sequences. I also didn't care much for the love interest or romance, which seemed a little forced to me. Quite frankly, I was vaguely offended at the fact that the female love interest just happened to end up naked in a cage with the hero, and then naturally she is super into him. Ladies don't exist just for the sexy, you know? Still, she was a pretty independent character, so I'm not complaining too much. At least I doubt she'll spend the next novel doing any form of pining after our hero.

Highly recommended for fans of humorous fantasy and sci-fi! Doesn't read like a YA novel, if that's something you worry about.