jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Space Between

The Space Between - Brenna Yovanoff Before my review, let me just state that it's refreshing to see a young adult author who doesn't feel the need to extend everything out to a trilogy. Brenna Yovanoff might be my favorite current YA author, on the strength of this novel and her latest [b:Paper Valentine|12109772|Paper Valentine|Brenna Yovanoff|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350335466s/12109772.jpg|17393387].

The Space Between tells the story of Daphne, the half demon daughter of Lilith and Lucifer. How could I not read a book based on that premise? The hell of the novel is all steel and skyscrapers. Although it might be horrible, we see it through the eyes of Daphne. For her it is simply home, the only world she has ever known.

If the book has a weakness, it's that it quickly leaves this setting for earth. The story dictated that move, but I would love to read an entire novel set in the underworld. Daphne sets off to save her brother, who has left for the love of a human woman, and falls in love with a boy along the way. The romance is never the focus, and it's never overdone.

The pacing was good, though I did feel the end was a little thrown together. In the end I was confused by what had just taken place. But even so, this is a solid 4 stars. Yovanoff is an unusually poetic writer. It's easy to get lost in her world and ignore any minor quibbles. Recommended!