jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden)

The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa With The Eternity Cure, author Julie Kagawa has managed a rare feat. I read the first novel in this series, The Immortal Rules, and found it lackluster. The first half was very promising, but the second half was bogged down by a plot that involved a lot of wandering through an apocalyptic wasteland, listening to the nattering of a really creepy preacher/cult leader. It also involved a super lack-luster love interest in Zeke. I was pretty much done after that book, but I decided on a whim to try the sequel.

I don't know how she did it, but the sequel manages to totally fulfill the promise of the first half of book one, while leaving out the irritating bits (no more wandering or adorable children - yay!) She even managed to make me care about the heroine's relationship with Zeke, who shows admirable backbone now that he is away from his people.

The biggest surprise to me was the return of Jackal. I had to look up who he was because I couldn't remember him at all from the first book, but he was a delight. I'm guessing that the author is a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer because Jackal is totally Spike, down to wearing a duster and complaining about being bored all the time. I'm not upset about this - Spike was my favorite character, and it's not as though anything else in the book reminds me of the show - I just thought it was a fun reference!

The ending was amazing, not at all disappointing in the way that series books sometimes are - I don't mind if something is "To be continued...." so long as there is some resolution, and I got it here. Speaking of that (ending spoiler ahead!) Zeke is totally going to be a vampire now, right? I can't really think of any other way that ending scene plays out. So excited for that!

Highly recommended, but you need to read the first book before this one - there are too many references to the first. I'm really happy that I made myself read this one - maybe now it's time to start Kagawa's Iron Fey series?