jmills01

jmills01

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
David Rakoff
Lock and Key
Sarah Dessen
How Music Works
David Byrne
Gone
Michael Grant

The Mist on Bronte Moor

The Mist on Bronte Moor - Aviva Orr Jane Eyre is my favorite book. I mention that because I want to put out front that I love the Brontës, crazy family history and all. I even liked Wuthering Heights, a book which seems to inspire loathing in many. Because of this, I approached The Mist on Bronte Moor with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.

Unfortunately, I feel that I was right to hesitate. This novel tells the story of Heather, a teenager in present day London, sent to live with her great-aunt due to her alopecia. This is where the story started to lose me. Ok, so you have alopecia and your hair is falling out. Is that the end of the world? Not so much. When Heather goes on a hunger strike, rather than sending her back to school, her parents send her away.

Heather quickly winds up back in time, and meets the Brontë family. I quite enjoyed Emily's character, though Anne and Charlotte were a little blank. She falls in love with Branwell, the only brother. I will admit to being a little interested in the story of Branwell - he is the forgotten Brontë, and certainly his story is a little tragic and romantic. Unfortunately, falling in love with him turns our heroine into the wettest of all wet blankets. She is suddenly obsessed with him to the point where she avoids trying to find her way home (you know, to the place where people don't die of consumption)

To be fair, I've read Jane Austen fiction that was worse, but then again... the Brontës are much more interesting than Jane. I think I'll go back to the long biography that I'm currently reading about the family. [b:The Brontës|763144|The Brontës|Juliet Barker|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1223636088s/763144.jpg|3360804]